Friday, August 30, 2019

A Cold Pause

     Today, I woke up with quite the head cold that dragged me down with clouded mind, fatigue, achy joints, and congestion. After several cups of tea, oregano essential oil, a bowl of homemade turkey bone broth, and two naps, I'm starting to perk up. I also realize that God has put my busyness on pause today, giving me a perfect opportunity to write a long-overdue blog post.

     This month has been an absolute blessing to Roberta and I. We got back to Missouri at the very end of July and haven't stopped spending much-needed time with family. From the get-go we've been busy helping both sides of the family. The first week of August we went up to Iowa with Roberta's parents to help in a sensitive situation involving her grandmother's health. She had broken her hip before our arrival and her home needed to become a safer environment. A lot of physical labor was involved, but we were thankful for the opportunity to spend time with her parents as we helped her grandmother.

     Soon after that, trouble arose on my side of the family. My grandfather was putting away the lawn mower when he was attacked by a wasp and stumbled backwards as he swatted at it. He fell and fractured his right fibula, only to walk uphill back to the house, stumble through the front door, and mutter aloud, "I just fell, and I think I hurt my ankle." For those of you who do not know, my grandfather has been one of my closest friends. He was the best man in my wedding. It was a sobering reminder to me to cherish my time with him before I join a work that will separate me from him in his latter years of life.

      But not everything on my side of the family has been troublesome! I officially now have another little brother named Sailor. His adoption date came just two days after my grandfather fell. It has been a year-long journey for my parents, but I've had the blessing of jumping in at the end of the adoption process. Coming home after two years in Lubbock to a new four-year old brother felt completely natural. Sailor and I have already bonded together through wrestling, hide-and-seek, and doing chores around the house for Mom. I'm also glad that he gleefully giggles at being scared. I believe every little boy needs to experience the suspense of not knowing where their older brother lurks, ready to pounce while acting like a feral lion.
   
     As this month draws to a close, Roberta and I are preparing ourselves for our imminent departure for West Seattle, WA. Last night I had my first dreams riddled by subconscious anxiety of our upcoming mission work. I know the Northwest Mission won't be easy work, but I trust that God will use us for His work in the area. We remain immensely grateful to all of our supporters. For their prayers, their encouragement, and their thoughtfulness towards us. We appreciate you all so much!

     - Nathaniel Thompson
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newest Letter:

Is Unconditional Love Biblical? Part 2

     Preface: if you haven't, I highly advise reading my first article on unconditional love before reading this one.      I write thi...

Popular Posts