Sunday, June 16, 2019

Don't Forget Your Father!

     Today is Father's Day and it was all I could do to crawl out of bed this morning. For the past two days, Roberta has been fighting off a sore throat and other sickly symptoms. Last night, I thought I might be coming down with what she had. When I woke up this morning, I was in a daze and felt off. I actually got up to try and start my day but ended up returning to bed, where Roberta lay recovering from her sickness.

     I felt myself becoming more and more irritable inside. I ignored the clock and skipped Sunday morning assembly. Roberta got up while I continued to lay in bed.

     It didn't take long for me to realize I wasn't actually getting sick. That daze I felt wasn't an oncoming fever but an emotional disconnect from my surroundings. My stomach being off wasn't the start of nausea but me internalizing the feelings of disappointment and dissatisfaction. 

     I just really missed my family, and I didn't like how my day was starting. I wanted to be in Missouri today celebrating Father's Day with my dad and my grandfather, not stuck in a messy house with my sick wife. 

     In short, I was pouting. 

     But my wife wouldn't let me. After I finally got up to eat something, she came over with her Bible and asked me if I wanted to read with her. 

     I told her I would listen to her read. 

     So, despite her sniffles and having to pause to blow her nose, she read from the Psalms. And despite not really wanting to, I heard snippets of how deeply God cares for us. I realized how silly I was acting. 

     We opened the AIM app on our phones and sang songs of praise together. I got up, grabbed some unleavened bread and wine from the fridge, and we ate and drank in remembrance of Jesus Christ. We prayed together and thanked God for His goodness. 
     
     One thing that struck me was that, although I would have liked to have spent this day with my father and grandfather, I still got to spend it celebrating my Father. 

     "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." - James 1:17

     God has given me so many good and perfect gifts. A godly wife, a loving father, a gentle grandfather, to name but a few. But, He is ultimately the Father of them all. I can't truly appreciate my loved ones as the blessings they are until I first acknowledge the Father who gave them.

     I'm so thankful for my dad and my grandfather. I desire a joyful day and coming year for them both. 

     But.

     May we also remember our Father as we have a very happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newest Letter:

Is Unconditional Love Biblical? Part 2

     Preface: if you haven't, I highly advise reading my first article on unconditional love before reading this one.      I write thi...

Popular Posts